We’re all aware that cleaning supplies contain dangerous chemicals that are harmful if inhaled or swallowed, right? There is nothing more frightening then seeing the skull and cross bones photo on the front of a cleaning supply bottle that you use to disinfect things that your children, and other family members touch. Being mindful of the chemicals you are using is very important. Keep in mind there is NO chemical that is safe for direct inhalation or consumption; chemicals should always be kept out of reach of children. We all must disinfect in order to keep our homes and bodies free from germs and bacteria. Therefore, most of us will handle chemicals at some point in our lives and I am here to educate you on the correct ways to use, label, and store these products. Here are some important guidelines everyone should keep in mind:
Keep out of reach of children– This is the most important thing I can stress to anyone! Chemicals can be very harmful if swallowed or inhaled. Keep these products up high and or locked safely away. If swallowed or ingested call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room. Poison control can be reached 24/7 at 1-800-222-1222 this is a national contact number and will direct you to your local poison control hotline, and if necessary poison control is able to dispatch and communicate with 911.
Gloves– You should always use gloves when handling any chemical; this will help keep your skin safe from chemical burns. Gloves are easy to find, and inexpensive. They can be found in many local grocery stores and pharmacies. Most stores also have latex free gloves available for those who have allergies.
Spray away from your body– Be sure when spraying or pouring chemicals to keep them a safe distance from your face to prevent chemicals from splashing in your eyes or on your skin.
Seals– Always check the seals on your chemicals before purchase; never buy anything that has an obviously tampered with or broken seal.
Lock the bottle– Most spray bottles have a nozzle that can be twisted to the “off” position, be sure to double check the caps and nozzles are properly locked and screwed on tightly before putting them away, this can prevent leakage and exposure.
Label– It’s very important to label your cleaning products properly, especially if you pour them into an unmarked bottle. Be sure to make your children and families know that touching these are a definite “No”! I personally mark all of my chemicals and cleaning supplies with a red permanent marker and my children are aware that anything with red marker should never be touched.
Never Mix– Contrary to what some believe, it is never OK to mix chemicals. This can be extremely hazardous! Mixing products can form harmful acids and produce poisonous gases that can be released into the air and possibly cause serious breathing difficulty.
Exposure– When using any sort of chemical be sure to open a window or door and allow fresh air in, this is very important especially when cleaning a small space such as a bathroom; which can be time consuming. Another option is to use face masks, which are also easily found in stores. Prolonged exposure to any chemical is always something you want to avoid.
Able Cleaning, Inc. is proud to provide these helpful blogs to you. If you should decide that you would prefer to hire an outside company to handle your home or office cleaning, please contact us. We use eco-friendly chemicals and all employees wear protective clothing and items to stay safe from these hazards.