As of 2011 15% of all Americans had gym membership, and 8% actually used the membership benefits. This may sound like a small number, but it translates into upwards of 47 MILLION people using gym facilities. Lots of people in a relatively small space is the perfect breeding ground for germs and infections.
In 2012, an expert stated that Upper respiratory tract infections were the most common threat at gyms, with MRSA (short for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus) was in second place. Bike Seats. Used Yoga Mats. Hot Tubs. Dumbbells. Free weights. Shower Floors. Tons of sweaty bodies. You can see how easy it is to have germs spread at fitness facilities. The fight against gym germs has to be two-fold – gym-buffs and gym owners both play important roles in the health and safety of all.
If you are a gym buff, here are some suggestions to stay healthy:
1. Don’t touch your eyes, nose, or mouth while using equipment.
2. Wash your hands before leaving the facility.
3. Bring your own equipment, if possible – yoga mats, boxing gloves, etc.
4. Wipe down the equipment with cleaners provided at your gym prior to and after use.
5. If you have an active infection be sure to cover it completely to protect other people.
6. Don’t keep used towels and clothes in your gym bag longer than necessary.
7. Bring water bottles to the gym so you can avoid the water fountain.
8. Change socks often and use anti-fungal powder in your shoes to prevent bacteria.
9. Always wear flip-flops in the shower and locker room.
10. Shower before and after getting into the hot tub.
If you are a gym owner:
Hire Able Cleaning Service! No, really. We have been helping fitness facilities maintain the health and safety of their clients for nearly a decade now. Our strong passion for green-cleaning coupled with 24-hour staffing (including towel services) provides win-win for gym buffs and gym owners alike. Ensuring the health and well-being of your clientele is important – and should be left to the pros. In addition to the routine cleanings, supplies are vital. Having clean towels, soap, paper towels, is the foundation for cleanliness. Let Able be your partner in the war on gym germs!